WICB

91.7FM  Ithaca, NY

The home of Ithaca College Radio

92 WICB is a student-operated, 4,100 Watt FM station that serves Tompkins County and beyond, reaching from northern Pennsylvania to Lake Ontario, with a potential audience of over 250,000.

92 WICB began in 1949 with 10 Watts of power, and operated from a Quonset hut in downtown Ithaca at the corner of Court and Cayuga Streets. We moved to the basement of Dillingham Center in 1968, then to the Roy H. Park School of Communications in 1989.

An affiliate of both ABC Radio and the Associated Press, 92 WICB has active news and sports departments, which cover such events as Ithaca College football, soccer, baseball, and lacrosse.

The radio station is Ithaca College’s only FCC-licensed broadcast facility, and is in operation 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

In 2005, readers of the Ithaca Times voted 92 WICB “Best Radio Station.” WICB has also won the MTV U’s Woodie Award for Best College Radio for 2008. The 2010 Princeton Review ranks WICB #1 out of 364 college stations.

Participation in 92 WICB gives Ithaca College students a chance to put classroom theory into practice by experiencing all aspects of radio including news, sports, producing programs and being an air personality (DJ).

Our History

  • 1941

    Broadcast pioneer Michael R. Hanna establishes the Radio Department at Ithaca College, which was then located in downtown Ithaca. Make-shift radio studios are built in the basement of the Little Theater dressing rooms at 120 E. Buffalo Street (known as the Green Room). This was a grass roots attempt at radio broadcasting. There was very little equipment and no transmitter. The audience was limited to those who could listen to the public address system in adjoining rooms. The call letters WICR were used.

  • 1947

    The Radio Department moves to expanded quarters -- a Quonset hut--at 101 W. Court Street (the former site of the Tompkins County Public Library). Known as The Radio Shack, the building features full-sized studios and offices.

  • 1947

    Ithaca College applies to the FCC for a non-commercial, educational broadcast license.

  • 1949

    FCC grants license to Ithaca College. Call letters WITJ are assigned. The station went on the air with 10 watts at 88.1 MHz. Almost immedietly, Ithaca TV viewers of Rochester TV channel 6 complain about the interference, so the FCC assignes new frequency of 91.7.

  • 1957

    New Radio/TV center opens at 124 E. Buffalo Street with complete radio & TV facilities. New call letters of WICB-FM are approved by the FCC. WICB-AM (now 106-VIC) is born. An AM carrier-current transmitter is installed at Cascadilla House (a male residence hall at Cayuga & Cascadilla Streets). The station transmits at 600 kHz.

  • 1964

    WICB-AM coverage expanded to the entire South Hill Campus. AM becomes a 7 day a week operation, pumping out the hits from 4pm-midnight.

  • 1966

    WICB-AM becomes an affiliate of MBS, the Mutual Broadcasting System, becoming one of the few college stations in the nation with network affiliation.

  • 1968

    WICB-AM & FM move to brand-new studios in the Performing Arts Center on the Ithaca College South Hill campus. AM & FM hours expanded to 7-9am and 5pm-1am weekdays; noon to 1am weekends.

  • 1969

    MBS affiliation dropped. Stations become ABC affiliates.

  • 1972

    Ithaca College applies to the FCC for a construction permit to move tower and transmitter and increase power to 5,500 watts.

  • 1974

    WICB-AM retransmitted on Cerrache FM cable at 105.9 MHz for the first time.

  • 1975

    New FM construction completed. FCC Issues program test authorization.

  • December 19th, 1975

    WICB-FM signs off 10 watt transmitter for the last time.

  • January 11th, 1976

    WICB-FM signs on with an E.R.P. of 5,500 watts.

  • 1978

    WICB-AM adopts call letters of WVIC (Voice of Ithaca College).

  • 1985

    Lansing, Michigan station WVIC respectfully requests that Ithaca’s station change its call letters. 106-VIC is the new handle.

  • 1989

    WICB-FM and 106-VIC move into new studios and offices in the Roy H. Park School of Communications.

  • 1997

    106-VIC begins streaming live programming onto the Internet with RealAudio.

  • June, 2001

    WICB-FM begins streaming live programming onto the Internet.

  • August 31st, 2002

    WICB-FM and 106-VIC forced to pull live streams off the Internet due to fees, reporting requirements and content restrictions associated with the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) of 1998.

  • November, 2002

    WICB-FM and 106-VIC resume streaming thanks to a reprieve in the payments for webcasting until October, 2003.

  • August, 2003

    WICB retires the Gates FM-H3 transmitter after 27 years of faithful service. It is replaced with an Armstrong solid state transmitter with an e.r.p. of 5,500 watts.

  • June, 2007

    WICB moves antenna to new Tompkins County communications tower on campus. Increase in antenna height allows power to be lowered to 4,100 watts e.r.p. for same signal coverage.

  • Summer, 2010

    Construction completed on IC Radio Technical Operations Center - located to the east of the radio newsroom.

  • Winter 2010 - 2011

    Complete renovation of WICB air studio.

  • November 14th, 2014

    Wicb.org is redesigned and rebuilt from the ground up. New website launches after months of design and development.